Adams vs Seresto Dog Flea Collars – Which is Better for Dog Flea Control?
When trying to choose the best dog flea collar, a lot of people narrow it down to two choices: the Adams Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs & Puppies or the Seresto Flea and Tick Collar
There’s a good reason that these two products are so often the two that people are deciding between. They’re two of the most popular brands of flea collars for dogs, but for somewhat different reasons.
Collars provide a longer term alternative to monthly topical spot on flea and tick products.
Each of these collars has one main reason that people select it:
The Adams Plus collar is one of the lowest cost options available.
The Seresto collar is the most well known and trusted brand.
You can see why each of these products has become so popular then. One is the go-to option for people who are on a strict budget. The other is the default choice for those who want to skip straight to the brand that is known to deliver results.
Compare Ingredients: Seresto Dog Flea and Tick Collar vs Adams Flea & Tick Collar
When it comes down to it, it’s the active ingredients in each collar that will determine how effective it is at both eliminating fleas and ticks, and preventing reinfestation.
The two active ingredients in Seresto Flea and Tick Collar for Dogs are:
- Flumethrin 4.5%
- Imidacloprid 10%
Adams Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs & Puppies uses a different formula, consisting of just one active ingredient:
- Deltamethrin 4%
So already we know that these products use different active ingredients.
Let’s look at both the positive and negative points that I’ve found during my ongoing, detailed research into these two flea collars.
Adams Flea Collar: Positives
- Cheapest option for flea collars.
- Good potential to work well, but results not guaranteed.
- Many people see the best results when the collar is used along with the Adams Flea and Tick Home Spray to treat the surrounding environment. This could be considered a negative as it involves a second product; however, the combined cost of the collar and spray is still less than the Seresto collar alone.
Adams Flea Collar: Negatives
- Many incidences of the collar not being effective during flea season, and/or for heavy flea infestations.
- Some incidences of side effects such as skin irritation and fur loss (but we find this to be the case with almost all collars and flea products – a small number of dogs will react negatively to the ingredients). Discontinue use if your dog experiences side effects.
- Some reports of the collar working for a short period of time, but not anywhere near the 7 months protection advertised.
- Relatively strong chemical odor (again, you will this to be the case for most flea collars that use synthetic chemical ingredients).
- Can take 1-3 weeks to start working, potentially allowing fleas to multiply during this time
Seresto Flea Collar: Positives
- High success rate and satisfaction amongst dog owners
- Any issues are dealt with promptly and professionally through Bayer customer service.
Seresto Flea Collar: Negatives
- Difficult choice if you have a low budget
Sadly there are known to be fake counterfeit versions of the Seresto collar out there. That’s why it’s so important to only buy from reputable sources. The fake collars which some people have unknowningly purchased, thinking they have picked up a bargain, not only don’t work to remove fleas (and often lead to people mistakenly reporting that the Seresto collars don’t work), but more importantly are potentially very dangerous to your dog. Only buy flea products from approved retailers.
Which flea collar out of the Seresto and Adams is the best choice for you and your dog?
Choose Adams if:
- You need a low cost but safe option
- You’re willing to accept that it may not work with 100% certainty to kill all fleas
Choose Seresto if:
- High certainty of fast and effective results is your top priority
- You don’t mind spending at the higher end of the flea collar range
- You want 8 month flea protection – one of the longest available with any collar
Where the choice is between the Seresto Flea and Tick Collar dogs or the Adams Plus flea collar, we choose the Seresto.
Yes, it costs more. But the reliability and customer service availability and support makes it easy to recommend the Seresto collar as the better product between these two brands.
What about the recall for Seresto claiming it killed 1700 dogs
The Adams collar is a complete waste of money. It did absolutely nothing to kill fleas. I tried giving it time to work and it proved to be worthless. The extra money for seresto is well worth it.
Sorrento does not work tried it .was a failure my dog lost all her fur on her. Back from flea allergies
Do not buy this product, within 2hrs of placing this collar on my 2yrs 15lbs dog, he had severe neurological problems, switching, crying, I couldn’t get him to his vet soon enough. This only change I made was this new Adams collar. Please it not worth $28, it will save you alot not to buy this.
I bought Adams for my two dogs and they have been scratching nonstop and miserable . I researched the Adams collar and found similar issues in other reviews . I took the collars off . Their skin is red and irritated as if they are allergic .
Adams is not the best but it does work only for about a month and then it’s no good !! Trying the dates to when I go get another collar
Bought 2 for my sisters dogs one of her dogs was itching non stop and acted weird not himself dont buy Adam’s
My dogs Seresto collar was lost, should I wait until Spring to get a new one or does he need protection in the winter months?
You can go right to the serento manufacturing company online and usually find the product that manufacturers has it on sale I got 2 serento 1cat 1 dog for $ 28 each. That was a hell of a lot better than $54-$72 many places wanted. Also there”s no issues about wondering if it’s the real thing because you purchased from the manufacturer.
The adams doesn’t work my dog has bare spots everywhere.used the seresto last year worked great. Tight on money thought i would try the adams i regret it now. Taking it back and getting seresto for my dog
I got Adams .They don’t work.I have 5 dogs.Now got to go buy flea meds..
Does the Saresto collar protect against mosquitoes?
Saresto is the best, it expensive, hope one day price will drop. I have 3 dogsl, but it works great.