I want to look at the differences between two of the most popular dewormer products for dogs – Elanco Tapeworm Dewormer and Safe-Guard 4 Canine De-Wormer.
Quite clearly the big difference between these two is going to be the types of worms they can treat and prevent.
As the name implies, Elanco is specifically a tapeworm only treatment. It covers all the important tapeworms in dogs over 4 weeks of age.
So the Elanco product is excellent if: you have a specific need for a tapeworm targeted treatment and you’re not worried about other types of worms.
Tapeworms are common, and you’ll have a very good idea if you’re dealing with a tapeworm infestation in your dog/s by checking their poop.
The dried tapeworm segments look like tiny tear dropped grains of rice, and your dog might have become noticeably thinner due to this parasite.
The best things about Elanco Tapeworm Dewormer are:
- Only one treatment needed to clear tapeworm infestation – a single dose
- Specifically targets tapeworms – no need for extra ingredients, keeping the cost down
- Cheap – one of the lowest cost dewormers, but with a proven ingredient that we know works for tapeworm
Some possible downsides of Elanco Tapeworm Dewormer
- Not chewable – you need to administer the pill directly or crush it into food and make sure its eaten
Only treats tapeworms – this is obvious. You will only look at buying this product if you know tapeworms are the culprit
- Not a worm preventative – does not protect against future infestations
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases
Now let’s look at Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer. This product is right at the other end of the worming spectrum – it covers everything. All types of worms that affect dogs.
Can you use this instead of Elanco if you’re certain that you’re only dealing with a tapeworm problem? Absolutely. Safe-Guard addresses:
This is critical to understand: Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer needs to be given for three days in a row.
You need to give the entire treatment to get rid of a current worm infestation and/or to provide full ongoing protection.
It’s only 3 days so you need that commitment to give the daily dose on all 3 days, or it simply won’t work to get rid of a current infestation of worms, or to fully protect for the next half year.
After that your dog is protected for about 6 months from further worm infestations.
Of course, you need to be vigilent with flea control and environmental hygiene to prevent worm issues in future.
Good things about Safe-Guard Canine Dewormer:
- 3 day treatment – only three days to get rid of existing tapeworms
- 6 months protection – you don’t have to worry about tapeworms again for at least 6 months
- Granule form is easily added to food; no forcing tablets down